This is my favourite Soutzoukakia recipe. These delicious meatballs in a rich tomato sauce are great year-round but especially on cold nights when comfort casseroles are so satisfying.
This dish was originally from Smyrna ( now Izmir) in Turkey, hence the inclusion of Cumin. The Turkish word for meatballs is Kofte which is also why these meatballs are not usually round, but instead oblong-shaped much like modern-day Kofta. A variation of them is to grill mince kebabs and then pour over the sauce.
I don’t worry too much about measurements with this recipe. Just be generous with the garlic and spices and remember to season well.
Add or leave extra herbs and spices enjoy with chips/fries, flatbread, rice, or John’s favourite, Risoni pasta.
Our favourite Soutzoukakia recipe
Delicious meatballs in a rich tomatoe sauce, originally from Smyrna ( now Izmir) in Turkey, hence the inclusion of Cumin.
I don't worry too much about measurements with this recipe. Add or leave extra herbs and spices enjoy with chips/fries, flatbread or John's favourite, Risoni pasta.
- 1 kilo ground mince ( beef, pork or a combination)
- 2 eggs
- 4 slices of stale bread
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- chopped parsley
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup of red wine
- salt and pepper
- 2 tins of tomatoes
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Cumin
- Soak bread ( without crusts) in milk for around 10 minutes
- Mix together the mince, herbs, spices, bread, and eggs
- Shape the mixture into oblong meatballs and fry gently in oil until golden brown
- For the sauce, mix saute the onion and garlic in oil
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste, more cumin and salt and pepper In a saucepan
- Add the wine and gently simmer for around 20 minutes until it has thickened somewhat
- Add the sauce to the pan of cooked meatballs
If the mixture seems too dry add some breadcrumbs before cooking
I often also add chopped mint to the meatballs mixture
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 457Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 158mgSodium: 259mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 38g