Choosing the best place to stay in Greece can be overwhelming with a huge array of accommodation to choose from. But there is a lot more to this incredible country than just hotels and Airbnbs. This is our pick of some of the best unusual and unique places to stay in Greece that will truly make your vacation one to remember!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate advertising links. This means that if you click through the links on this page and decide to make a booking I may get a small commission, at no extra no cost to you. This helps fund the running costs of this site.
PLANNING A TRIP TO GREECE?
Whether you’ve been before or it’s your first time it can be hard to process all the information out there. Be sure to check out our complete Planning Guide as well as our FREE 13-page downloadable itinerary.
And come join our private Facebook Group where you can ask questions and get advice from real travelers!
If you are visiting Santorini then you simply must stay in a Cave! There are many hotels and apartments that have been made from the original caves used by families and hermits in days gone by but also a lot of new ones built in the traditional style.
One of our favourites is Hector Cave House who have beautiful rooms with very private terraces and stunning, panoramic views over the Caldera. They are located in a great location in highly sought after Oia and are truly picture postcard perfect. You will not want to leave your suite!
The Honeymoon Suites include:
- 1 King bedroom , 2 bathroom
- a separate living area with 2 sofa beds
- outdoor Jacuzzi and some rooms have plunge pools
- private sun-kissed terrace with sun loungers
- panoramic Caldera and island views
- meters from town, restaurants and shops
- some suites have small kitchens with microwaves
Further reading : Top things to do on Santorini
illa Maera 2 is a stunning luxury Villa in Kalo Livadi on Mykonos and is home to a much-photographed and Instragrammed outdoor cinema with a private outdoor dining and disco area.
The villa has panoramic views over the Aegean Sea and can sleep up to 10 people in 5 bedrooms.
Located just a few minutes from Super Paradise Beach there is a stunning pool and the Villa comes with Housekeeping and a fully equipped kitchen.
Perfect for weddings, family reunions and special celebrations!
- 5 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms
- 1 stunning swimming pool and hot tub
- 3 dining areas
- numerous sunloungers
- a fully equipped kitchens
- plenty of parking
- daily housekeeping
- on-call Concierge
Further reading : Things to do on Mykonos
Some villas on Santorini have their own private swimming pools and one that is both indoor and outdoor makes the best of every weather situation.
We love Aloia Villas who have one and two bedroom Villas with hot tubs and amazing views as well as a stunning two-story, 3 bedroom Villa with a fully equipped kitchen and an infinity pool, that can sleep up to 6 people.
- one, two and three bedroom Villas
- stunning swimming pools and hot tubs
- breath-taking views of the Caldera and the island
- huge, private terraces
- spacious and very stylish rooms
- an short walk to restaurants and shops
- 24/7 Concierge
- daily housekeeping
Staying in a converted Windmill in Greece is one of the most unique and memorable things you can do, and there is no better place to do it than Milos.
Located near the tiny village of Zefiria here you will be able to immerse yourself in local life and enjoy the peace and tranquillity of the countryside, including the local farm animals. It’s only a few kilometres to some of the best beaches on the island and 5 minutes into Adamas and the port.
The Windmill has a one bedroom and a two bedroom apartment, both with separate living rooms, air-conditioning and decorated in authentic Cycladic style.
- 1 x one-bedroom and 1 x two-bedroom apartment
- newly renovated, chic Cycladic styling
- expansive lawn and gardens with local ducks, chickens and rabbits
- air conditioning
- super comfortable beds
- peace and tranquillity
- tremendous value for money
- attentive, helpful on-hand hosts
On Milos you will find the very pretty and quite unique fishing huts called Syrma, They are built right on the water and are usually designed so the Fisherman can sleep upstairs and store his boat and fishing gear below.
Some are still in use by the local Fishermen but some have been converted into great little apartments to rent.
This is something you can really only do on Milos and is a fantastic way to experience life as a local fisherman as well as having great access to the sea for swimming and usually an excellent Taverna nearby too.
- 1 x one-bedroom, 1 bathroom, two-story hut – sleeps 3
- absolute waterfront
- a fully equipped kitchen
- separate lounge and dining room
- modern, stylish décor
- air conditioning
- gorgeous west-facing sunsets
- attentive, helpful on-hand hosts
Further reading : Things to see and do on Milos
What better way to explore the Greek Islands than by sea and hiring your own yacht opens up a world of possibilities.
The Y/S Sofia Star 1 is moored in Naxos Port and can sleep up to 6 people in 3, airconditioned bedrooms.
A skipper can be arranged if you would like to take the boat out and explore some of the sights such as the nearby islands of the Small Cyclades and a Chef can also be organised upon request.
Wander over to the local bars and tavernas in the evening and drop off to sleep listening to sounds of the sea lapping against the hull.
- 2 x double bedrooms and 1 x 2 singles
- fully equipped including TV, full kitchen, a BBQ and toiletries
- 1 skipper and 1 crew member
- air conditioning
- delicious Greek Style breakfast every day
- snorkelling and watersports equipment
- attentive, on-hand staff
The Kinsterna Hotel is located in Agios Stephanos, 7 kilometres south-west of Monemvasia in the southern Peloponnese.
Parts of the property date back to 1667 and it was built and occupied by a number of wealthy families over the centuries.
A painstaking and very clever restoration in 2010 saw the property reborn as the Kinsterna and today it is considered one of the best hotels in Greece.
Apart from the expansive views back over Monemvasia the fertile 25-acre estate contains centuries-old olive trees, citrus trees and an orange grove producing the famous Monemvasia oranges. There are also impressive,ancient eucalyptus trees and towering cypresses, vegetable gardens and beds of flowers and aromatic herbs as well as a 5 acre private vineyards. There is even a small animal farm.
- beautifully appointed 5 star rooms, suites and Villas
- two state of the art swimming pools filled with natural spring water
- an indoor childrens playground
- expansive lawns and gardens with orchards, Olives, a vineyards and animal farm
- and award winning restaurant and authentic outdoor Taverna
- a dedicated private beach
- a stunning boutique, weaving room and antique shop
- a private vineyard and house wine label
- a world class spa and Hammam
- numerous activities including baking, horse riding, hiking, tours, wine tasting, cycling and more
Monemvasia is known as the ‘island fortress’ and is one of the most incredible destinations in Greece. It’s actually connected to the Mainland by a 200 meter long causeway but was once an important trading post and home to hundreds of Villagers who fortified themselves from invading forces beneath the towering rock.
Today people still live and work on Monemvasia but many businesses are now geared towards tourism. Wandering the narrow alleys of the town is like stepping back in time and staying in a restored Castle is how to really absorb the bygone era.
There are several excellent tavernas, cafes and bars within the walls of the Old Town and it really is a very charming place to stay.
- One and two bedroom apartments that can sleep up to 6 people
- panoramic sea views
- fully equipped kitchens
- gorgeous roof tops terraces
- centrally located and very clean and comfortable
Located in a quiet corner of trendy Psiri in Athens Foundry Suites are a stunning example of modern Greek Architecture and design. The former foundry has been sympathetically converted into a stylish and very cool small hotel with all the original fittings fixtures retained or repurposed where possible.
The hotel has a lush rooftop terrace with amazing views of the Acropolis and the surrounding city and it is a short stroll to some of the best tavernas, cafes and bars in the city.
- spacious, luxurious rooms, suites and apartments
- a big rooftop terrace with luscious gardens
- lavish breakfasts, wine tastings and picnic hampers can be arranged
- various rentals can be organised including renting the Hotel cameras!
- 24/7 Concierge
Glamping with a twist! These rooms at Bubble Suites are located on the stunning Halkidiki peninsula in Northern Greece, home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
Each ‘bubble’ has its own yard and is quiet separate and private from its neighbours. They are airconditioned and even include indoor bathrooms which is quiet a design feat!
The complex is surrounded by Olive Groves yet is still an short walk to town and the beach.
- unique, lockable Bubble tents with private gardens
- individual blow up swimming pools
- individual bathrooms
- separate living and bedrooms
- air-conditioning and heating
- a tranquil Olive Grove setting
- close proximity to stunning beaches and Mt Athos
- sweeping views of the nearby Agean Sea and surrounding countryside
- walking distance to local villages and shops
Experience true cultural immersion in Greece by staying in a traditional farmhouse on a working farm in Crete. Located 30kms inland from Heraklion Organic Orgon Farm has expansive views over the countryside and out to sea and has seasonal plots of fruit and vegetables as well as numerous farm animals.
This is a holiday that families will remember for ever and a great way to live like a local for a while. The house is beautifully restored and equipped with every convenience and amenity.
- 4 traditional small houses on an Organic Farm
- one bedroom and two sofa beds sleeping up to 6 people
- a fully equipped kitchen with every amenity considered
- a huge terrace
- expansive gardens and farm plots with olives and various seasonal produce
- fresh bread and breakfast delivered daily with farm products
- stunning views across the countryside and to the sea
- farm animals including chickens and goats
- friendly and informative onsite farming family who love to show guests around
Further Reading : Things to see and do on Crete
What a unique place for a family holiday in Greece!
Located on the beautiful island of Kos in the Dodacannese Islands Sails on Kos is a wonderful Glamping complex that is great value for money too. The sun-drenched beaches of the small coastal village of Marmari are some of the best on the island of Kos and the quiet child-friendly sandy beach is perfect for kids.
There are amazing views of Mount Dikeos from each tent and there is an organic farm with animals and produce as well as a private area on the beach.
- Luxe tents most with bathrooms
- an authentic on-site Taverna and bar
- a great pool and children’s playground
- evaporative air-coolers
- lush gardens and outdoor dining areas
- an organic farm and chicken coop
- an outdoor theatre
- Yoga, Pilates and more
- eco-friendly toiletries
The Imaret is housed in the historical monument of the same name, in a prominent position within the walls surrounding Kavala’s old town.
Regarded as a masterpiece of late Ottoman architecture, the Imaret was built in 1817 and was designated a heritage monument in 1954. It is now a member of Small Luxury Hotels of the World.
Guests can relax in the 3 courtyards and the beautiful outdoor cistern or unwind in the hotel’s spa and traditional hammam.
Guided tours of the monument, including the mosque and the house of Mohamed Ali, are also available. There are also tea rooms and meals served on the outdoor terrace with sweeping views of the city below.
- Lavish and richly decorated suites
- beautiful, manicured gardens and terraces
- onsite bar and world-class restaurant
- an extensive library and onsite cinema
- lavish interior courtyards and dome-topped arcades
- a traditional Turkish Hammam
- tour on the Imaret Monument, and free entrance to Muhammad Ali’s House.
- a shuttle service
Located in Paralia Panteleimonos on the mainland about 4 hours drive north of Athens, Aurora Camping and Mobile Homes offer new 2 bedroom studios that comfortably sleep, 4 people.
With absolute beach frontage, the property also offers direct access to Platamon Castle to the south and is a 20-minute walk into the nearby town. There are beautiful views of Mount Olympus and Ossa in the background and it is easy to visit the astonishing Monasteries of nearby Meteora, less than 2 hours away.
This property is a very budget friendly place for a very laid back vacation.
- Brand new, modern 2-bedroom units
- absolute beachfront
- air conditioning
- beautiful wooded gardens with an expansive terrace
- fully equipped kitchen and dining area
- stunning views of Mount Olympus and Mount Ossa
Located in the hills behind the luxury Costa Navarino coast in the Peloponnese Stamna Farm welcome guests to stay in one of their new 1 bedroom bungalows on their family farm.
With so much to see and do in the area including some of Greece’s best beaches and archaeological sites like Olympia, this is also a wonderful opportunity to enjoy life like a local and interact with the daily activities of farm life in Greece.
There is an International airport at Kalamata which is 50 minutes away.
- 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom Farm bungalows
- an onsite family-run Taverna
- a terrace area with BBQ
- fully equipped kitchen and laundry facilities
- close to famous Voidokilia Beach and the Palace of Nestor
- fruit orchards, organic vegetables gardens, olive groves and seasonal produce
- animals including chickens, goats, sheep and horses
Further Reading : The Perfect Peloponnese Holiday
The Grande Bretagne is considered the most prestigious and certainly the most famous luxury hotel in Greece.
Located right on Syntagma Square in Athens this is where celebrities such as the original Brat Pack, Aristotle Onassis & Jackie Kenedy, Sophia Loren and numerous Heads of State, magnates and Presidents including Winston Churchill have stayed.
Expect Old World style and glamour here with exceptional 5-star service. From the rooftop bar you can see the Changing of the Guard every hour at Parliament House and enjoy expansive views over the city and the Acropolis.
- Classic Luxury and every modern amenity
- 3 bars and a cigar lounge including Athens most prestigious rooftop bar
- 24/7 Concierge and Front Desk
- High Tea in the Winter Garden Lounge
- 320 lavish rooms and suites
- indoor and outdoor swimming pools
- a 3000 bottle wine cellar
- 3 restaurants
Further Reading : The Best Acropolis View Hotels