Luggage storage Athens city centre
Perhaps you’ve checked out of your hotel and have a late flight or maybe you’re transiting through the city on your way to somewhere else. Whatever the reason it would be a real shame to miss out on seeing the many incredible attractions and sites that Athens has to offer. There is a lot to see and do and the city truly caters to all ages and all interests with history, mythology and architecture of course being the main themes.The Shopping is great too!
We recommend a company called Stasher. They have partnered with 15 businesses that can store your luggage securely, spread throughout the city center. There are drop off spots in the most popular neighborhoods like Plaka and Syntagma as well as some of the lesser known ones like Filopappou and Pangrati. Most of them are open very late and in some cases 24/7.
Use the website to book online and check availability!
What to do and see in Athens
Athens is home to thousands of years of history as well as modern day wonders. You can discover them independently or join a great tour like exploring historical Athens on an electric bike or jump on the Red Hop on Hop Off Bus which will take your down to Pireaus port and along the Athenian Riviera to Cape Sounion.
There are a lot of things to see and do in Athens.
Among them are :
- The Acropolis – this sentinel has towered over Athens for 2500 years, the crowning jewel of the home of democracy. The main attraction is the Parthenon, a temple dedicated to the Goddess Athena and built in the fifth century. A visit to Athens is not complete without a visit to one of the most important historical sites in the world!
- The Acropolis Museum – goes hand in hand with The Acropolis, like Fred and Ginger. This modern, world class museum was built in 2009 and is located in Plaka on the southern slopes of the Acropolis hill. It houses the many artifacts, statues, and sculptures from the Acropolis and you can even see the remains of the ancient town through a glass floor. Visit after the Acropolis for a deep understanding of the ancient site.
- Plaka – Athens most loved neighborhood that retains much of the charm of a bygone era and reminds people of the islands. Mostly closed to cars Plaka is full of charming cafes, tavernas and galleries and is a great place to explore and relax.
- Monastiraki – one of the oldest and busiest areas in Athens, the main square has a metro station and is surrounded by shops, tavernas and the Monastiraki flea market.
- the Temple of Poseidon – this incredible structure stands 60 meters above sea level on Cape Sounion, around 40 minutes south of the city center and 30 minutes east of Pireaus port. This marble temple was first built by ancient Athenians to honor Poseidon and guide sailors safely home. All that remains now is a series of towering columns which are especially incredible at sunset.
- See the Changing of the Guard by the wonderful elite soldiers, the Evzones, in front of Parliament each hour on the hour. Parliament is at the end of Syntagma Square and the Evzones also stand guard there over the tomb of the unknown soldier.
- Go swimming! – The Athens Hilton allows non-guests to use their huge 25m pool for a fee of 25euros which includes a towel and a sun lounge. At night there’s a DJ spinning tunes and the pool is open until 1am.
Luggage storage Athens port
Many people find they have quite a gap between their flight time and their ferry time or indeed between two different ferries. Piraeus is the main ferry port in Athens and is situated about 30 minutes drive from the city center. Many people will tell you that there is absolutely nothing to do or see in Piraeus but usually that’s because they didn’t look very hard. Just a few blocks back from the main ferry area are the charming neighbourhoods of Pasalimani and Kastella, both with horseshoe-shaped marinas lined with seafood restaurants. It’s really not a bad place to spend a night if that helps relieve your anxiety levels too!
If however, you only have limited time but would like to leave your bags somewhere and look around then Stasher have two partners near the port that can help you. For only 6euro a day you can explore to your heart’s content or perhaps even leave bigger items for longer periods that you won’t need on the islands.
Tours from Piraeus
The excellent Red Hop on Hop off Bus includes a stop at Piraeus and along the Athenian Riviera and the historical center. It’s a great way to see a lot in a short time!
There are also good organised Athens highlights tours from the Port, or stay close by and enjoy a tour along the seafront on an Electric Bike. Alternatively book a private tour with a driver for your group.
Transfers to and from Piraeus
There is a metro station right across the road from the Port and buses regularly service the area. Private transfers are available from the airport to Piraeus Port or from the port to the airport into the historical center.
We use and recommend Welcome Pickups who have one of the best-reviewed services in the world.
Luggage storage Athens airport
At times you might find yourself needing luggage storage at Athens airport. Perhaps you’re doing a quick trip to an island and only need an overnight bag or transiting through Athens and wanting to do a quick day trip in the ancient center?
There is a business operating out of the airport called Care4bag. They offer a 24 hours service next to Arrivals Gate 1 and can securely store your items from 4 euro for 6 hours. They only charge once you collect which is great if you aren’t really sure how long you are going to be. You can also store special items such as bikes and sporting equipment.
They also offer a baggage wrapping and tracking service at Gate 1 and between gates 2 and 3.
Further to that they can deliver your items anywhere in the world!
Lockers at Athens airport
At this point there are no lockers at Athens airport. The best solution is to use the luggage storage service described above or take your items into Athens centre and store them with Stasher as outlined in the topic at the top of the page.
You can organise Porter Services at Athens Airport by contacting Baggagement. They will pick up your bags and can deliver them anywhere in Athens. They also offer a storage service and their website is great and easy to use.
Tranfers from Athens airport
There is a metro station right across from the airport and buses that go into the city every 20 minutes, as well as other destinations. Taxi’s are readily available and should cost no more than 50 euro to the historical center in the day time.
Welcome Pickups are excellent and have one of the best-reviewed services in the world. There’s nothing like getting off a long-haul flight and seeing that sign with your name!
You may also like
Savvy operators forged ahead during the pandemic to complete a number of extraordinary new properties across the country. In 2021/2022 over 50 new hotels in Greece are set to open with most already welcoming new guests. Many of these are in the busy tourist...
PRE-BOOK YOUR PORT OR AIRPORT TRANSFERS Arrive on your dream trip to Greece knowing that someone will always be waiting for you at the airport or port with a friendly smile, a personalised sign and a late-model, airconditioned car. If you have pre-booked your...
The Bronze Age settlement of Akrotiri was one of the most important Minoan settlements and ports in the Aegean Sea. It is often called the 'Pompeii of Greece' as it was covered by volcanic ash in the 17th century BC, only it is 4000 years older! Make sure that a visit...
The weather in Greece in October can be tricky as the temperatures cool and the wind is still an issue,and working out which are the best Greek Islands in October can be a challenge. There are, however, some places that are still great to visit particularly in the...
The Saronic Islands are the closest group to Athens and are home to some of the most beautiful and fascinating destinations in Greece. Located along the Saronic Gulf west of the Capital the islands can be reached in under an hour and are often a great choice in...
Despite the pandemic savvy operators have taken the time to open a number of new hotels in Athens and other parts of Greece as well. Most are located in the best neighbourhoods for visitors and offer style, convenience and often great views and amenities. After a...