Spanakopita is one of the most famous Greek dishes and is easy to make. Often called Spinach and Cheese pie and a great vegetarian Greek dish this feta cheese pie recipe will be an instant family favourite.
This dish is one of Greece’s best known and is a family favourite around the world. It is considered one of Greece’s signature dishes and is found all over the country.
In ancient times people were fond of fets cheese pies wrapped in fig leaves and it is believed this may have been the inspiration for the many leaves of Filo pastry.
The original pies were likely made with wild greens foraged locally until the arrival of Spinach with the Byzantines from the Middle East .
In Greece, many people still make their own Filo pastry from flour, salt, water, and olive oil but there are very good commercially produced packets readily available in supermarkets and that is what is used in this recipe.
It is common to find a whole pie cut up into pieces, small individual wrapped triangular ( or rectangle) pies, or a circular pie made up of one long rolled casing. In this recipe, we do the standard whole pie.
- 1 kilo chopped spinach
- 4 sliced leeks
- 10 Springs Onions sliced
- 1 bunch finely chopped dill
- 1/2 cup finely chopped spearmint or mint
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 350 grams crumbled or grated Feta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp cooked rice
- 1 packet filo pastry
- clean, wash and chop the spinach
- boil the leeks and spring onions in salted boiling water for 5 minutes
- drain well
- heat the oil and saute the onions and leeks
- add the spinach, dill, mint, cheese, rice, and eggs and mix well over heat for 2 minutes
- place two sheets of pastry in a pie dish or on a baking tray
- Brush with olive oil, and two more sheets and repeat for 2/3rd of packet
- spread the filling across
- cover with two sheets of pastry, brush with oil and continue until all used
- brush with oil and scour serving pieces in the pastry - this makes it easier to cut and gets rid of the steam when cooking
- bake for about an hour at 200 degrees
An egg wash can be used to brush the pastry instead of oil
Some versions of Spanikopita have a variety of local cheeses added including goats cheese and Pecorino
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 417mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 10g
Like this post? Why not Pin it!
You may also like
Greece is a country that offers so much to see and do and at a very affordable price point usually too. While there are thousands of things you could do when vsiting we've narrowed down the options to these 111 amazing places for your Greece bucket list, to help you...
An integral part of visiting another country is discovering and trying the local food and drinks. Greek cuisine is one of the most delicious out there, and you will find out that there are plenty of local amazing drinks of Greece to try as well. Greece's mainland and...
The shopping in Greece is some of the best in the world. The products are generally high quality and good value and there are lots of unique and interesting things to purchase. But working out which things to buy in Greece can be a bit overwhelming. This guide covers...