Spanakopita is one of the most famous Greek dishes and is easy to make. Often called Spinach and Cheese pie and a great vegetarian Greek dish this feta cheese pie recipe will be an instant family favourite.
This dish is one of Greece’s best known and is a family favourite around the world. It is considered one of Greece’s signature dishes and is found all over the country.
In ancient times people were fond of fets cheese pies wrapped in fig leaves and it is believed this may have been the inspiration for the many leaves of Filo pastry.
The original pies were likely made with wild greens foraged locally until the arrival of Spinach with the Byzantines from the Middle East .
In Greece, many people still make their own Filo pastry from flour, salt, water, and olive oil but there are very good commercially produced packets readily available in supermarkets and that is what is used in this recipe.
It is common to find a whole pie cut up into pieces, small individual wrapped triangular ( or rectangle) pies, or a circular pie made up of one long rolled casing. In this recipe, we do the standard whole pie.
- 1 kilo chopped spinach
- 4 sliced leeks
- 10 Springs Onions sliced
- 1 bunch finely chopped dill
- 1/2 cup finely chopped spearmint or mint
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 350 grams crumbled or grated Feta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp cooked rice
- 1 packet filo pastry
- clean, wash and chop the spinach
- boil the leeks and spring onions in salted boiling water for 5 minutes
- drain well
- heat the oil and saute the onions and leeks
- add the spinach, dill, mint, cheese, rice, and eggs and mix well over heat for 2 minutes
- place two sheets of pastry in a pie dish or on a baking tray
- Brush with olive oil, and two more sheets and repeat for 2/3rd of packet
- spread the filling across
- cover with two sheets of pastry, brush with oil and continue until all used
- brush with oil and scour serving pieces in the pastry - this makes it easier to cut and gets rid of the steam when cooking
- bake for about an hour at 200 degrees
An egg wash can be used to brush the pastry instead of oil
Some versions of Spanikopita have a variety of local cheeses added including goats cheese and Pecorino
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 417mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 10g
Like this post? Why not Pin it!
You may also like
If you’ve been planning a trip to Greece but have hesitated over food concerns, don’t worry there is a huge selection of food for you! Instead, bookmark this list we’ve put together of the best vegetarian and vegan Greek food you can find all over the country. With...
PLANNING A TRIP TO GREECE? Whether you've been before or it's your first time it can be hard to process all the information out there. Be sure to check out our complete Planning Guide as well as our FREE 13-page downloadable itinerary. And come join our private...
Packing a good set of walking shoes for Greece is imperative. With so many incredible wonders, towns, villages and sites to explore you can easily clock up thousands of steps a day and on lots of cobblestones and uneven surfaces too. These are our pick of the best...